Strategies For Student Success on Tests
Before the Test
- Do your class work.
- Get a clear understanding of homework assignments before leaving class.
- Make a record of assignments received and completed.
- Make a study schedule and follow it.
- Tell your parents about schoolwork and homework.
- Follow directions.
- Return homework when it is due.
- Get make-up assignments when returning from an absence.
- See teachers for additional help.
- Find out when tests will be given.
- Find out the style of the test. Is it multiple choice, essay, etc.?
- On the day of the testing eat a good breakfast.
During the Test
- Read all directions carefully.
- Ask the teacher for clarification of directions before the test begins.
- Completely read each passage and accompanying questions.
- Read all answer choices before selecting an answer.
- Reread, when necessary, the parts of a passage needed for selecting the correct answer.
- Eliminate answer choices that are clearly wrong.
- Skip very difficult questions until all other questions have been answered.
- Answer as many questions as possible.
- When you have finished, go back and check your work.
- Be sure to completely erase incorrect answers.
- Keep a good attitude. Think positively!
After the Test
- Ask the teacher what the test results mean.
- Ask your teacher to suggest areas of study that will help you do even better on the next test.