Fisher Magnet Upper Academy, which serves students in 5th to 8th grades, offers a state of- the-art facility, real-world educational experiences and focuses on individualized attention by a staff that truly considers itself a team.
Fisher Magnet Upper addresses individual learning styles through differentiated instruction. Instructional technology programs and 21st Century learning are infused into the Fisher Upper curriculum, and the school works to ensure achievement and social development aspects are met in a diverse population by including parents in the educational process.
- School Brochure
- Read Fisher Magnet Upper Academy’ School of the Week Feature: Mar. 17-24, 2014
- DPS Safe Routes to School Program
The 21st Century After-School Program allows students to gain knowledge in: Cooking, Sewing, Power Fitness, Sims City (Future City), Character Development, Band and Graphic Design
Academic Games, 21st Century Extended Day School Program, Chess Club, FTC Robotics, Accelerated Reading and Math, Basketball, Band, Music, Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Self-Contained Learning Disabled Programs, Emotional Impairment and Mild Cognitive Impairment Programs, Computer classes for 7th and 8th graders, Detroit Parent Network Partnership, Weekly Parent Workshops, Communities in Schools, Detroit Police Department Mentoring Program, Business Partners: Gardner White, Gleaners, Wendy’s, Children’s Center, and Mr. Alan’s.
- Students can learn in a safe and supportive environment where responsibility and respect are demonstrated and modeled daily.
- In addressing all students individual learning styles through differentiated instruction.
- In ensuring achievement and social development in a diverse population.
- Parents are essential in the development and educational process of whole child education.
- In a partnership of professionals, parents and students.
- In transforming the lives of our students and the community.
- In all students being valued equally and recognizing their ability to achieve to their fullest potential.
- All staff members should be accountable to student learning with high expectations.
- That technology is critical to increased learning and an essential tool to enhance and provide opportunities for students to become comfortable with advancements in technology.
- That professional development will enable our teachers to learn quality instructional practices.
Fisher Magnet Upper Academy staff, parents and the community will provide a safe environment to mold and produce responsible and respectable 21st century learners. Fisher Upper students will be emotionally, physically, academically, and technically developed contributors to our global society by using critical creative thinking skills to advance our world.
Fisher Magnet Upper community will cultivate a nurturing environment through the implementation of effective and innovative instructional strategies. We will build character through an interplay of family and school, to teach students that character is learned and is an important contributor to becoming responsible individuals. More importantly, these features will allow our students to become positive and successful contributors to our society.
Gardner White, Gleaners, Detroit Parent Network, Wendy’s, 21st Century, Children’s Center, Sisters Inspiring Sisters and Mr. Allen’s
The name we Honor
Dorothy L. Fisher began Region 7 Middle School in 1971 which was one of the eight Magnet Schools who began the formal application process for our Magnet Schools. She started the Dorothy L. Fisher Scholarship at Wayne State University which gives scholarship money to Dorothy Fisher students who graduate from High School with a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
5th grade: yellow polo shirt with black pants.
6th grade: light blue polo shirt with black pants.
7th grade: white polo shirt with black pants.
8th grade: black polo shirt with black or khaki pants.